Serving the Greater Portland, OR Metro Area
Why have a doula?
Research has shown that having doula support can reduce the need for interventions during labor and increase feelings of satisfaction with your birth experience.
Specifically, having doula labor support has been shown to*:
- Decrease need for a cesarean section by 50%
- Decrease duration of the labor by 25%
- Decrease requests for interventions such as epidurals (by 60%) and pain medications (by 30%)
- Decrease need for other interventions such as Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin) by 40% and the need to use forceps by 40%
- Increase mother’s sense of self-esteem and decrease the rate of postpartum depression six weeks after the birth
- Increase continuation of breastfeeding six weeks after the birth
Our doulas will help you gather information in preparation for your ideal birth and will support you throughout the birthing process and immediate postpartum period.
*from Klaus, Kennell and Klaus (1993) referenced in the article Doula Care: An Age-Old Process Meets the 20th Century by Naomi Bromberg Bar-Yam (IJCE 18(4) p.18-20
Our training and experience
All doulas part of the Portland Doula Collective have at least 3 years experience as a working doula. We also strive to complete continuing education through various workshops and training.
Some of our doulas also specialize in other birth-related services such as childbirth education, lactation education, and placenta encapsulation. We take pride in keeping up-to-date with the latest advances and research in the pregnancy and childbirth industry.
We proudly support families of all types, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and cultural and religious backgrounds.
Who we serve
We have Supported:
- first time mothers
- experienced mothers
- vaginal births
- VBACs (vaginal births after cesarean)
- cesarean births (planned and unplanned)
- unmedicated, natural labors
- medicated labors
- hospital, birth centers and home births
- deliveries with both Obstetricians and Midwives
- LGBTQ parents
- single moms
- teen moms
- women and families with a history of trauma
- women using a variety of birthing techniques including, Bradley, Birthing from within, Mindful birthing, hypnobirthing, and Rebozo support.
- We understand that there is wonder and joy in bringing your child into the world.
- We believe that the process of birth can be transformative for both parents.
- We understand that birth has both physical and emotional aspects.
- We work to share our knowledge base with our clients so that they can make choices that are right for their family.
- We support client choice and believe that it leads to higher satisfaction with the birth.
- We believe birth can be wonderful in whichever setting you choose.
- We are respectful of the individual needs of our families.
- We are passionate about what we do!
We highly recommend Jenny as a birth doula. Whether you are deliverying at home or at a hospital, like I did, a doula provides tremendous help and support for both the mother and her partner. With her pleasant personality, calming presence, useful ideas, and great photography skills, Jenny defintely contributed to making my labor and delivery a positive experience!
– Maria M.
We had a little different scenario with an amazing surrogate carrying our baby boy. We wanted to make sure Alicia, our surro, was well taken care of during and right after birth so that we could focus on baby (but also knowing Alicia would need someone there during that time)…Scarlett was amazing- she came over to our house and met us all, she showed us some techniques to help Alicia with labor, she answered any questions, she made sure we had plans B,C, D and went over our birth plan. Her presence was perfect- she was there but did not interfere with the flow of what was happening (since that was what we wanted). She could magically change the direction of labor and helped Alicia as well throughout and after labor. She was a great support system and our biggest advocate. She was amazing and our birth story was smooth and wonderful because of our great team!
She visited, texted and called Alicia afterwards and came over to our house. She was a great tool in the postpartum period as well, helping all of us navigate hormones and feelings and new life with baby 🙂 We can’t thank her enough!! She was everything and then more!
Leave a Review Here!
Scarlett is so wonderful
I am so thankful to have had Scarlett with us during the birth of my son. She was incredibly helpful to me during the process, but I also really appreciate that she taught my partner helpful things to do which encouraged him to be a part of the process. During my birth, I was diagnosed with the flu, Scarlette was so supportive and calming she helped us communicate with the hospital staff, and kept me from feeling scared or helpless in the situation. Scarlett is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and kind. She helped turn a scary situation into a positive birth experience. Also, the birth story she made is something I am so thankful to have and treasure forever.
Highly recommend working with a doula, especially Kendelle!!
After going through birthing classes, I decided I wanted to work with a doula to increase the odds of having a VBAC with my second 10+ yrs years after having my first. I started looking into doulas but knew right away when I met Kendelle that she was the one to guide me through my birth. She was amazing throughout the whole process. She answered a million questions, encouraged me, calmed me down and helped me not stress throughout pregnancy. Then during the birth she was an incredible support. I wouldn’t have been able to have an unmedicated VBAC without her encouragement and support! And even after birth she has been a great resource and friend!
Kendelle is a doula rockstar
I hired Kendelle to be on my team for my second baby. Her energy, intuition, and practicality was exactly what I needed. Kendelle is hands on, full of information, empathetic, creative, flexible, and has the warmest of hearts. Her confidence in her craft is attractive for someone with a lot of unknowns ahead of them. In a society where mothers and sisters and aunts aren’t able to fill the doula roll, Kendelle fills the roll perfectly.